Families and Friends of Louisiana’s Incarcerated Children (FFLIC) is seeking a
Development and Communication Director
FFLIC is a statewide membership based organization dedicated to creating a better life for all of Louisiana’s youth especially those who are involved or at risk of getting involved with the juvenile justice system. We use the strategies of education, peer advocacy and direct action organizing to build strong, powerful families and communities and to fight for justice for our children and ourselves.
FFLIC’s goals are to:
- Transform the juvenile justice system by reducing the number of non-violent youth who are in secure care and ensuring that children who are imprisoned receive rehabilitative treatment;
- To dismantle the school to prison pipeline by reducing the number of youth who are suspended, expelled and school referred;
- Transform our communities by providing leadership development for parents.
FFLIC seeks a creative, innovative, knowledgeable and detailed orientated Development and Communication Director. This position will report directly to the Executive Director.
Responsibilities for this position include:
- Responsible, with Director, for oversight of all fund development efforts
- Development and implementation of a comprehensive fund development plan involving grant solicitations, a membership campaign, and individual solicitations
- Conduct prospect research, analyze donors and track donor information
- Motivate, coordinate, provide logistical support and involve the staff, board members, and other volunteers in the fund development campaign
- Prepare written reports to all funders according to the guidelines of each grant agreement
- Ensure that all communication with prospective and current funders is professional, accurate, and meets deadlines, including grant proposals, thank you letters, corporate solicitation packets, and reports to funders
- Identify and coordinate various fundraising opportunities, including special events
- Responsible for development with Director, and other staff as deemed appropriate, of an overall communication strategy and plan for FFLIC
- Preparation of marketing materials and support other staff members in developing marketing materials, including program brochures, sample letters, and media packets
- Oversee production of FFLIC’s annual report
- Monitor and update FFLIC’s website to ensure timely, accurate and effective content
- Draft all external communications (i.e. quarterly newsletters, holiday cards)
- Coordinate with media for special events
General Support of FFLIC Programs and Organization
- Responsible for organization, coordination and maintenance of library of reference materials: statistics, reports, news articles and others as needed
- Participate in project assessment and evaluation with staff
- Assist in coordination of meetings of FFLIC’s Board of Directors
- Assist in support role in various other work (day at the capitol, focus groups, etc.)
Qualifications: Applicants should be highly motivated, have excellent written and communication skills, and possess superior organizational skills. Applicants should have a commitment to FFLIC’s mission, at least three years experience in fund development. Applicants should be self-motivated and willing to work long hours when necessary and be passionate about racial and economic justice and human rights.
Salary: Salary is commensurate with experience. Excellent benefits provided. To Apply: Qualified and interested applicants must submit all of the following to be considered for this position: Cover letter, Resume and 1-2 page writing sample. All materials should be sent to Gina B. Womack, Co-Founder/Executive Director, 1600 Oretha Castle Haley Blvd, New Orleans, LA 70113 or emailed to: firstname.lastname@example.org. The position is open until filled, although a preliminary application deadline is January 31st, 2012. Persons of color are encouraged to apply.
FFLIC values diversity and is an affirmative action, equal opportunity employer. FFLIC does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, religious creed, national origin, ancestry, disability, or sexual orientation.
ABSOLUTELY NO PHONE CALLS. DO NOT follow-up with your application once submitted.